Sunday 12 December 2010

NaskoShell - my custom windows desktop replacement app

UPDATE: 

This is discontinued project :(
I don't need custom shell for Windows anymore, because I switched to linux. OpenBox+PyTyle+Conky
Source is on my github have a look I you are intersted in Custom windows desktop shell in C#.


I have got 12.1" ASUS UL20a laptop and because of the size of the screen I wanted to optimize my desktop for better experience. I tried to simplify my default Windows 7 desktop, removed all icons, made Taskbar autohide, couldn’t completely remove it though.Finally I decided to write my own Windows desktop replacement.
So what I am working on is clear Desktop with:
  • my daily to do tasks,
  • time,
  • reminder,
  • simple background changer,
  • some nice motivational or inspirational quotes.
  • multiscreen (work, design, surf, chat, book reading, video )
  • launchy-like app launcher
  • fully keyboard control

I started coding it with C#. This is what I’ve got.
image
This week I will add background switcher, reminder and quotes.

Update: 22.12.2010

I am still drawing my idea in my mind. Hopefully till Christmas I will have first working version ready for realese.
Everything is going to be Black and White.
My Desktop will include:

  • AppLauncher - like Launchy and many other clones
  • Taskbar in the middle bottom of the screen
  • Todo list
  • System menu for Restart, Logout, Shutdown
  • Global Key Shortcuts
That's my latest screenshot of my Desktop Shell

Central text is clickable and when u click it indicates Done Task and shows you your next to do task. Using one task at a time approach. Now i am codding todo control.